Each Talented Tails training plan is tailored to bring out the best in your pet and meet the needs of you and your dog.
You’ll gain a better understanding of how your dog learns and enhance your observation skills to see what your pet is telling you through his/her body language and behaviors. I’ll show you how to train the behaviors you want in your pet and how to respond in order to prevent problem behaviors from developing.
There are two options for in-home training.
Option 1) You train your dog.
If you enjoy working with your dog, I’ll be your coach, in your home, teaching you to teach your dog. You’ll learn to communicate clearly with your pet and begin to see results right away. We’ll set up a schedule to meet regularly and I’ll teach you and your dog.
Option 2) I’ll do the training for you.
Raise your paw if you’re busy. This option is great for people who want the benefits of a well-mannered dog and the enrichment that training provides, but don’t have the time or simply prefer to leave the training to a professional. We’ll reserve time to go over what your dog has learned and how to apply those skills.
In and around the Rosewood Heights Illinois area (62024) including Bethalto, Wood River, Alton, East Alton, Godfrey, Edwardsville, Glen Carbon
- “Let’s Go to the Vet!”
Specialty training focused on taking the fear out of visiting the vet and groomer. Make at-home husbandry care such as administering ear drops, brushing, and vaccinations, easier. Wouldn’t you rather have a dog actively participating in care than being held down or forced to comply?
- “Fresh Start” for Newly adopted dogs
- Whether this is your first dog or you’ve lost count, you’ll want to start down the right path and help you new pet make a smooth transition into your life. Make it easy for your dog to make good choices and create good habits that will last a lifetime.
- Former Puppy Mill dogs
- Puppy mill dogs hold a special place in my heart. These dogs have often spent their lives confined. They missed out on critical socialization as puppies and may have little to no concept of living in a home. Some of them come with fears and quirks requiring an extra helping of compassion along with focused, special training as they learn the ropes. You won’t regret helping them learn and blossom.
- Shy Dogs
- The world is a scary place to some dogs. We can lessen that anxiety. We’ll keep them feeling safe and use counter-conditioning, desensitization, and add foundation training to help conquer those fears and build confidence.
- Basic Manners
- Is your dog happy and eager to learn? Fantastic! Let’s help your dog reach his/her full potential with a solid foundation of basic manners, fun tricks, and useful behaviors while avoiding pitfalls that lead to problems down the road. Training and learning is an enriching, rewarding activity for the students at BOTH ends of the leash.
- This is a little tongue-in-cheek. I work with dogs of all ages and sizes and some non-canines too. But if you have a terrier, you know that part of their charm is that they can be exasperating and surprise you in the worst ways, yet so comical and fun-loving that you become smitten for life. A sense of humor is a must with a terrier and, let’s be honest, it’s an asset with any dog.
Common Behavior Modification Requests
- Polite dog-to-human greetings
- “Four on the floor.” AKA not jumping on family, friends, or strangers
- Walking nicely on leash rather than pulling on walks
- Basic Manners such as sit, down, come
- Shy Dog Confidence
- Doorbell over-excitement
Are you a 501c3 rescue organization or veterinarian clinic? Schedule an introductory presentation for your staff/small to learn more about fear free handling or force-free training at no charge.
- Clicker Training Basics presentation
- Fear Free Handling and Vet Visits presentation